Custom Search

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Turkey Army Jets shot down Syria Helicopter

Syrian Helicopter M17
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Tuesday defended the military's downing of a Syrian helicopter which he said violated its airspace.
"The Turkish Armed Forces did what's necessary," Erdogan told a press conference, a day after its warplanes shot down the military helicopter which was detected two kilometres (1.2 miles) inside Turkish airspace.
In first public remarks after the incident, the premier recalled that his country had changed the military rules of engagement toward war-torn Syria and authorised its military "in certain areas."
"We have publicised that those rules will be invoked in such circumstances like border violations," Erdogan said, adding that Turkey invoked the rules after the Syrian helicopter "paid no heed to repeated warnings."
In a statement on Monday, the Turkish military said one of the two patrolling Turkish F-16 jets shot down the helicopter which violated the airspace in the vicinity of the Guvecci border post.
Syria's army also confirmed that the helicopter had been shot down by Turkey, accusing Erdogan of trying to "escalate" tensions between the two neighbours.
Turkey changed rules of engagement after the downing of one of its fighter jets by the Syrian air force in June 2012.
Turkey Jet F16

Erdogan had then announced that any military element that approaches the Turkish border from Syria would be considered a threat and treated as a military target.
Relations have deteriorated between Damascus and Ankara, who were once close allies, since the outbreak of an uprising against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and the unleashing by the regime of a brutal crackdown on rebels in March 2011.
Turkey has consistently lobbied for the ouster of Assad and provided shelter for Syrian rebels seeking to overthrow him.
The long, volatile border between the two countries has become increasingly tense.
And the Turkish military has repeatedly struck back in response to shells and mortar rounds from the Syrian side since a deadly shelling in October which killed five of its nationals in a border town.
"Still we are struggling to overcome the odds after the Tazreen fire, now another incident which is a strong blow for the sector," Mr Islam said.  Read full articles here

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Building Collapse in Bangladesh Kill at least 160 People.



The death toll from a building collapse in Bangladesh yesterday has risen to 160 and could climb higher, police said this morning.

People remain trapped under the rubble of a complex that had housed garment factories supplying retailers in Europe and North America.

Rescue workers have been digging through the rubble of the eight-storey Rana Plaza building in Savar, 30km outside the Bangladeshi capital Dhaka.

More than 1,000 people were injured.

"The death toll could go up as many are still trapped under the rubble," Dhaka's district police chief, Habibur Rahman, said this morning.




Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA) president Mohammad Atiqul Islam said there were 3,122 workers in the factories yesterday.


He said there had been indications from Savar officials that cracks had been found in the building the day before.

"We asked the garment owners to keep it closed," Mr Islam said.

Rana Plaza's owner had told proprietors of the building's five garment factories that the cracks were not dangerous, Mr Islam added.

"After getting the green signal from the plaza owner all the garment factories opened," he said.

However, police official Mohammad Asaduzzaman said factory owners appeared to have ignored a warning not to allow their workers into the building after a crack was detected on Tuesday.

News reports showed young women workers, some apparently semi-conscious, being pulled out of the rubble by firefighters and troops.

Doctors at Dhaka hospitals said they could not cope with the number of victims.

The collapse follows a November fire at the Tazreen Fashion factory on the outskirts of Dhaka that killed 112 people, and it has compounded concerns about worker safety and low wages in Bangladesh.

Bangladesh employs about 3.6 million people in the garment industry and is the world's second-largest apparel exporter.

Following the Tazreen fire, giant US retailer Wal-Mart Stores Inc said it would take steps to alleviate safety concerns, while Gap Inc announced a four-step fire-safety programme.

"Still we are struggling to overcome the odds after the Tazreen fire, now another incident which is a strong blow for the sector," Mr Islam said.  Read full articles here

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...